Mass Communication has existed since antiquity, when it was present in the basic forms of verbal and non-verbal communication. With the passage of time, the media has immensely transformed from a public communication medium to become a global social communication platform where people can express themselves freely. New technologies and social media platforms have changed the way we perceive the world around us. Furthermore, this explosion of innovations and technologies has also boosted the media industry, leading to colossal career opportunities emerging in this field. In this blog, we'll walk you through the various types of mass communication and the many opportunities you can explore in this ever-growing field.
know all aboutMass communication courses after 12 years
This blog includes:
- Types of mass communication
- Print/traditional media
- broadcast media
- film and television
- Digital/new media
- Examples of types of mass communication
- Types of mass communication courses
- Functions of mass communication
- Types of Slideshare Mass Communication
- Benefits of mass communication
- Mass communication job profiles
- common questions
Types of mass communication
Mass communication is termed as a means of dispersing information to a large group of people. It is a means of disseminating information beyond physical and geographic restrictions through various means of communication. From folk songs, dance and theater to radio, video games and social media, mass communication has always been an integral part of the human world. With time and the constant growth of communication technologies, the scope and scope of mass communication has aggressively expanded.
Click here to download PDF Types of Mass CommunicationTo go down
There are basically four types of mass communication:
- Print:Newspapers, Magazines, Books and Novels, Comics, Newspapers and Publications
- Broadcast media:Film, Television, Radio
- External and transit media:Billboards, signs, posters, banners
- Digital Media/New Media:Social media, video platforms, websites, mobile apps, eBooks, podcasts, online radio
We list the most used types of mass communication, from traditional to new media.
Must Read:Master in Mass Communication
Among the conventional forms and types of mass communication, print media is part of those platforms that facilitate communication mainly through written communication, such as newspapers, books, magazines, etc. In the old days, when cinema and television had not yet appeared, print media was used to publish the latest news and events, as well as for entertainment purposes. Even in the digital age,printIt has not lost its prominence as we still enjoy the morning paper with a cup of tea and also enjoy reading our favorite novels in paperback rather than on screen. The most crucial change introduced in print media is that it has also shifted to online platforms, as many newspapers have established a strong online presence to keep people updated on the latest happenings around the world, just by touching our screens!
You must explore:types of journalism
broadcast mediamainly refers to electronic transmission platforms that are among the fundamental types of mass communication. Whether through radio, films or television programs, this form of mass media realizes the distribution of news, information and entertainment through audio and images through the implementation of electronic transmission platforms. Below we have detailed the three main types of broadcast media i.e. radio, film and television.
Radio is one of the oldest mass media. It is a medium through which electromagnetic signals are sent over long distances. As a traditional form of mass media, radio was formerly used to make news announcements, broadcast important events, and later on to broadcast music and entertainment talk shows as well. With the digital age, online radio channels emerged, making it more accessible than FM, which worked on certain frequencies and network connections.
Recommended reading:Radio Jockey course
film and television
When Thomas Edison invented Thomas Edison's Kinetoscope, movie phenomena were born. Cinema and television are the main sources of entertainment for more than 90% of the world's total population. It is one of the most popular types of mass communication that includes both the audiovisual aspects of communication. Moving images and sounds, along with interactive storytelling, work together to provide engaging and entertaining content. Furthermore, the TV and film industry is filled with tremendous career opportunities, whether you are a creative writer or an imaginative visualizer. For those who want to pursue a career in this field of television media, there are a multitude of courses available atcinema digitalanfilm editingas well asMedia and Animationycinematography courses!
Check out our exclusive guide onHow to become a filmmaker?
One of the underrated but potential types of mass communication, outdoor media corresponds to the dissemination of information and advertising through our outdoor environments, such as billboards, posters, signs, banners, etc. This form is also used to advertise products or services. how to disseminate social information and raise awareness among the general public. Much like billboards, Transit Media is more dedicated to advertising through billboards, banners, signs and notices on means of transport such as Buses, Metro, Train, among others.
To check:Advertising Courses
Digital media is one of the recent and popular types of mass communication and it has become an influential form of media today. Also known as new media, it brings together all the attributes of interactive communication, as the Internet offers fast and easily accessible information in various formats. It covers a wide range of media, such as emails, podcasts, blogs, websites, videos, social networks, among others. Be it the digital apps on your smartphone or your favorite video game to play online, digital media has taken over a huge part of our daily activities. ANdigital marketing careerand social media marketing is among the most popular these days as all organizations are constantly striving to create a strong online presence and thus facilitate communication with their target audience.
Explore digital media in depth through our exclusive list of topdigital marketing books!
Examples of types of mass communication
Below are several examples oftypes of mass communication that we use in our daily lives and we can also learn a lot! They are differentmodes of communication and are extremely important. Have a look here:
- movies and movies
Movies or films are not just a mode of entertainment these days, it is also a way to connect with the masses on a massive scale. Films with social messages are being made to educate and inform the masses. Films or films are released across the country and impact people on a massive scale.
- social media
Nowadays, social networking sites are a way to connect with the masses. It doesn't matter where in the world you are, but you can connect or keep in touch with other people located in a completely different part. Some examples of social networks are YouTube, LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
Books, whether paperback or electronic, are another important source and example of mass communication. It has a massive reach and provides in-depth information and insights on many topics.
Companies that hire the people behind the advertising and how it should be presented to the masses represent certain advertisements in ways that encourage purchase.
Journalisms such as Print Journalism or Digital Journalism collect relevant information about events that are happening across the country and the world and present it to the masses for consumption. It is one of the most popular forms of mass communication as it reaches the masses on a massive scale.
Photography is one of the most influential and popular mass media. It is a visual means of mass communication and portrays a profound message. With photographs, the masses get a real picture of events taking place and feel more connected to events in the outside world.
Types of mass communication courses
There are a variety of mass communication courses offered by universities and colleges in India and across the world. These are the main types ofmass communication courses:
Graduate Courses in Mass Communication
- Diploma/PG Diploma in Photography
- Diploma in Advertising and Brand Communication
- Diploma in Public Relations and Event Management
- PG Diploma in Journalism and Television Communication
Bachelor of Mass Communication Courses
- Bachelor of Liberal Arts and Sciences in Communication
- Bachelor of Science in Communication - Science, Health, Environment and Risk Communication Bachelor of Fine Arts in Communication Design
- Bachelor of Arts in Media and Screen Studies and Media Arts
- Bachelor of Professional Communication Bachelor of Mass Communication
- Bachelor of Communication - Rhetoric and Political Culture
- BJMC (Bachelor of Journalism and Mass Communication)
- Bachelor of Communication Studies - Communication and Public Advocacy
- Bachelor of Journalism and Mass Communication
- Bachelor in Corporate Communication
- Bachelor of Communication Studies - Communication Management
- Bachelor of Communication - Strategic Communication
- Bachelor of Science in Science and Technology Communication
- Bachelor of Arts in Media Studies
Master's Courses in Mass Communication
- Master in Communication Studies - Global Communication
- Master in Communication Studies - Interpersonal Communication
- Master's in Comparative Media Studies
- Master in Communication Studies - Mediated and Mass Communication
- Master in Intercultural and International Communication
- Master in Journalism and Mass Communication
- Master in Mass Communication - Research in Marketing Communication
- Master in English - Rhetoric and Communication Design
- Master's in English Studies and Communication
- Master in Communication and Media Management
- Master in Communication and Culture Master in Public Communication and Technology
Functions of mass communication
the differentmedia typesThey play varied roles, whether as media, guardians of democracy, impact on popular culture, etc. These are the main functions of mass communication:
- Training: The first and most important role of mass communication is to spread and spread correct, impartial and worldwide information. As social media and mass online forms of communication have emerged, it has become difficult to identify which information is correct and which is not. Therefore, the digital age is full of information, but its authenticity is continually questioned.
- Fast and fast communication: Mass communication also plays a critical role in ensuring fast and speedy communication among the masses. From digital media to broadcast media, each medium has its own way of communicating and messages to convey.
- Entertainment: the types of communication also provide entertainment and infotainment to the masses in the form of music, videos, TV, radio, among others.
- Surveillance: Known as the watchdog of a democracy, Mass Communication also ensures the vigilance of a society by informing us about happenings around the world and keeping us informed about local, national and international happenings.
Benefits of mass communication
Mass communication is the most important source of information for the masses. It keeps the masses informed and updated on events around the world. Without various mass media, 2021 would have been a dismal year. Even during the ongoing pandemic, only through various mass media has the world been updated on the threat posed by Covid 19.
It also has an important role to play in news authenticity. It is the technique of reaching the corners of the world and helping each individual to form their own opinion.
Mass communication also has an important role to play in globalization and making the world a smaller place by keeping everyone connected to each other.
Mass communication job profiles
Various job profiles related to mass communication are mentioned below. Take a look:
- news editor
- the journalist
- event admin
- dinner director
- content writer
- public relations officer
- control the radio
- video jockey
What are the different types of mass communication?
The main types of mass communication are:
cinema and television
What are the 5 basic types of media?
The 5 basic types of media include newspapers, television, radio, the Internet and magazines.
Therefore, Mass Communication is a vast field full of copious media that is constantly growing in the digital world. We hope this blog on types of mass communication has helped you to gain insight into various media. If you want to take mass communication courses and don't know where to start, schedule a session with ourEdu Leverage experts and help you select an ideal course that aligns with your interests and can help you explore a lucrative career in the media field.
What are the 4 types of mass communication? ›
What are the different types of Mass Communication? Print media, outdoor media, media broadcasting, and digital media are different types of Mass Communication.What are the 5 types of mass communication? ›
The 5 basic types of mass media includes newspaper, TV, radio, internet and magazines.What are the 3 examples of mass communication? ›
Political ads, television commercials, and news programs are all forms of mass communication.What are the 7 types of communication? ›
- Variety in Communication: Choose Wisely. We are lucky as humans to have a whole host of communication types available for us at our fingertips. ...
- Interpersonal Communication. ...
- Verbal Communication. ...
- Nonverbal Communication. ...
- Written Communication. ...
- Visual Communication. ...
Modern media comes in many different formats, including print media (books, magazines, newspapers), television, movies, video games, music, cell phones, various kinds of software, and the Internet.What are the 6 types of communication PDF? ›
The entire gamut of the various types of communication channels and expressions we enjoy is outlined in this chart. As you can see, there are at least 6 distinct types of communication: non-verbal, verbal-oral-face-to-face, verbal-oral-distance, verbal-written, formal and informal types of communication.What are the 8 types of communication process? ›
- Developing the Message.
- Encoding the Message.
- Selecting the Channel.
- Message Transmission.
- Decoding the Message.
- Learning Effective Communication.
Through mass communication, information can be transmitted quickly to many people who generally stay far away from the sources of information. Mass communication is practiced in multiple mediums, such as radio, television, social networking, billboards, newspapers, magazines, books, film, and the Internet.What is mass communication courses? ›
A degree in Mass Communication is an interdisciplinary course of study and opens up doors to a spectrum of careers, from advertising and broadcasting to public relations, journalism, and publishing.How many communication skills are there? ›
There are four types of communication: verbal, nonverbal, written and visual.
What are skills in communication? ›
Some of the most important communication skills for any job are presentation, active listening, nonverbal communication, giving/taking feedback, and others. Improve your communication skills by learning how to listen, noticing nonverbal cues, and practicing oral communication.What are the major types of communication skills? ›
The four types of communication are verbal, non-verbal, visual and written communication.What are the 3 common media types? ›
The three types of media are commonly known as news media, social media, and web media, but you might also see them referred to as earned media, shared media, and owned media. Some other forms of modern media are print media, television, movies, and video games.What are the 3 main types of media? ›
There are three main types of news media: print media, broadcast media, and the Internet.What are the 8 sources of media? ›
- Library Catalog.
The mass media serves information, interpretation, instructive, bonding, and diversion functions.What are the 3 major functions of effective communication? ›
The three functions of communication are to inform, to persuade, and to motivate. Understanding these fundamental communicative functions and their examples is crucial to having a successful organization.What are the 4 basic functions of communication *? ›
The four functions of communication are control, motivation, emotional expression, and information.What is communication skills in PDF? ›
Communication skills are those skills which are needed to speak and write properly. A person who is able to speak appropriately whilst maintaining eye contact with the audience, uses varied vocabulary and articulate speech to suit the need of the audience is generally said to be an effective speaker.What are the main types of communication PDF? ›
These are, the formal types of communication, informal types of communication, oral communication (face-to-face), oral communication (distance), written communication, non-verbal type of communication, grapevine communication, feedback communication, visual communication and active listening.
What are the 13 communication tasks? ›
- Clarity and conciseness. Being clear and concise is the crux of strong communication skills in the workplace. ...
- The ability to listen. ...
- Confidence. ...
- Open body language. ...
- Tactfulness. ...
- Curiosity. ...
- Empathy. ...
- Sender. The sender is the person who is trying to communicate a message. ...
- Receiver. ...
- Message. ...
- Channel. ...
- Noise. ...
- Feedback. ...
Let's start with verbal communication, which is the most common form of communication.How to improve communication skills? ›
- Listen, listen, and listen. ...
- Who you are talking to matters. ...
- Body language matters. ...
- Check your message before you hit send. ...
- Be brief, yet specific. ...
- Write things down. ...
- Sometimes it's better to pick up the phone. ...
- Think before you speak.
Using the 7 C's of communication, that is when you're clear, concise, concrete, correct, consider the speaker, complete and courteous, with your message, you will become an effective communicator and find more success in your interactions with people.What are elements of communication? ›
The communication process involves understanding, sharing, and meaning, and it consists of eight essential elements: source, message, channel, receiver, feedback, environment, context, and interference.Why is communication ethics important? ›
Honest communication not only builds trust, it also helps you and others identify and work on any fissures that may arise in the intersection between authority, power, and teamwork. Without honesty, communication fails at its core purpose.What are functions of communication? ›
Functions of Communication Basically, there are five functions of communication. These are control, social interaction, motivation, emotional expression, and information dissemination.What are the 4 types of communication give examples? ›
There are four basic communication styles: passive, aggressive, passive-aggressive and assertive. It's important to understand each communication style, and why individuals use them.What is mass media give 4 examples? ›
Examples are: newspaper and magazine articles, published photographs, recordings of television and radio broadcasts, sheet music and music recorded for mass distribution, advertisements, books, and magazines.
What are the four 4 main components of communication define each? ›
The communication process is made up of four key components. Those components include encoding, medium of transmission, decoding, and feedback. There are also two other factors in the process, and those two factors are present in the form of the sender and the receiver.What are the four 4 basic steps to good communication? ›
- Clarity. Clear, direct communication along with an understanding of how it is valued will create a better working environment. ...
- Maintain composure. ...
- Develop trust. ...
- Speak the same language.